Transcript: Emergency evacuation document fill in the blanks activity
Read or listen to the excerpt of Hayden and Sammie’s emergency evacuation document. There are numbers placed directly before a word or section which can be simplified. How do you think they can improve each numbered section?
The pipes indicate which words or phrases need to be replaced.
Emergency Evacuation Excerpt
| 1. In the event that | personal injury or a medical emergency occurs which | 2. may have a requirement for | an immediate response;
- | 3. Try to remain | calm and consider your actions.
- Notify the event manager of the number of casualties and the nature and seriousness of the injuries.
- Contact the onsite first aider to attend to the incident.
- If serious, | 4. request the immediate attendance of | an ambulance by dialling 000.
ALCOHOL AND VIOLENCE EMERGENCY
Anyone who is intoxicated will be refused entry and, if already on site, will be asked to leave the event. If they refuse to leave or exhibit violent or disturbing behaviour, the staff/volunteers | 5. are authorised to | contact the police if necessary.
An accessible event can ensure safety in case of an emergency for people with disabilities, older adults, and parents with prams. | 6. During the period of | an evacuation;
- Assist any person in danger, though only if safe to do so.
- | 7. Provide assistance to | people with reduced mobility to leave via the appropriate exits.
- | 8. Ensure at all times | that people do not carry personal belongings or parcels with them as they may be dropped and cause obstructions.
- Do not increase the danger by leading people past or close to the emergency point when going towards the exit routes.
Hayden and Sammie’s edits:
Now that you know which areas of the draft can be improved, and match the simplified alternatives (letters) with the part of the text which needs improving (numbers). The first one has been done for you.
a. Stay. Number: 3
g. Always ensure.
a. Stay – Number 3.
b. Needs – Number 2.
c. Can – Number 5.
d. During – Number 6.
e. Call – Number 4.
f. Help – Number 7.
g. Always ensure – Number 8.
h. If – Number 1.